STRENGTHENING CAMPAIGN TO END FGM/C PROJECT BASELINE STUDY
|The Civil Resource Development and Documentation Centre (CIRDDOC) Nigeria is an independent, non-governmental and not-for-profit organisation established in 1996 for the protection and promotion of human rights and women’s human rights and the strengthening of civil society. CIRDDOC is also committed to the institutionalization of good governance, gender equality and the rule of law.|
Gender Based Violence (GBV) including Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) is a longstanding social and cultural norm where a large proportion of women and girls are subjected to violence by family members, acquaintances, and strangers. Although reasonable progress including individual/family denunciation and community declaration has been recorded by the efforts of development partners, NGOs, churches and the government to do away with FGM/C practice especially in high prevalence areas, there are reports that it is still being perpetuated across some communities through what has been labelled the need to preserve social and cultural values.
CIRDDOC with support from AmplifyChange is working with partner organisation (CENGOS) and relevant stakeholders to achieve reduction in FGM/C prevalence in 2 states, Ebonyi and Imo in a 2-year project.
As part of the strategy for achieving the desired results, CIRDDOC is in search of a seasoned Research Consultant who will work independently, with minimal supervision and assistance by the project partner member organisations to develop a baseline survey report that will serve as basis to the successful implementation of the project. The baseline report will also provide information to key determinants of social norms surrounding knowledge, attitudes, and practices that enhances FGM/C as well as offer tools and strategies to tackle such norms in the project states.
The overall purpose of this study among other things is to conduct a situation assessment and analysis including knowledge, attitude and practices (KAP) and social norms that will inform strategies for the implementation of the CIRDDOC/CENGOS/AmplifyChange project on STRENGTHENING CAMPAIGN TO END FGM/C in Ebonyi and Imo States.
The specific objectives of this study include:
1) To establish the current situation of FGM/C in Imo and Ebonyi states
2) To determine the knowledge, attitude and practice including a sound analysis of the social norms; social networks that influence and sustain FGM/C in Imo and Ebonyi states.
3) To determine the current trends and prevalence of FGM/C in the states
4) To obtain in-depth understanding of social norms and its dynamics on social motivation of individuals, families and communities and the practice of FGM/C in the states.
5) To determine the existence, availability, strength as well as level of public awareness and implementation of relevant legal instruments/laws addressing FGM/C
6) To make recommendations from the findings (including the roles of relevant stakeholders) for sustainable programming on ending FGM/C in the states.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant for the baseline survey and documentation will work directly with the project manager, assisted by the project partner member organisations in field data collection/evidence gathering and undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
1) Serve as the lead researcher and trainer of researchers on understanding FGM/C and the Essence of Research
2) Develop comprehensive research tools that seeks to generate data/information to the realization of the study objectives
3) Train researchers selected from the partner member organizations on data collection/evidence gathering using the research tools
4) Review completed research tools and undertake data collection, collation as well as data analysis and report writing
5) Produce comprehensive research/baseline report that provides information on key drivers and determinants of contextual social norms, knowledge, behaviours and practices in Ebonyi and Imo states
6) Establish existence of relevant legal instruments and examine their strength and level of public awareness and implementation
7) Recommend from the findings practical steps that can be taken to reduce the prevalence of FGM/C including the roles of relevant stakeholders for sustainable programming in the states
8) Develop for publication a Policy Brief/Analysis – an Advocacy Tool of engagement from the report
9) Provide basis for project monitoring and evaluation
Scope and Methodology
This requires a research using questionnaires, FGDs and interviews to gather data for the purpose of realizing the objectives of the research including establishing the current situation of FGM/C in Imo and Ebonyi states and determining the knowledge, attitude and practice as well as social norms that influence and sustain FGM/C in Nigeria and the states in particular.
The geographical scope of the research will cover yet to be identified 4 communities in each of the 2 LGAs per state – Imo and Ebonyi.
1.) A guideline and work plan for the implementation of the consultancy
2.) Research and data gathering tools in hard and soft copies
3.) First draft research report including key findings, challenges, lessons learned, recommendations and conclusion
4.) A final analytical and comprehensive research report (in hard and soft copies), presenting findings and conclusions, lessons learned, and recommendations on way forward for ending FGM/C
5.) A two-page summary of the reports with key research findings, lessons learned, and recommendations and conclusion
The consultancy will run from October – December 2020
– Professional background in social sciences, public policy or administration.
– 7 to 10 years of progressive professional experience in gender analysis and development
– Experience in working with government and civil society organizations in Nigeria
– Experience in proposal writing, proposal management, and report writing
– Experience in monitoring and evaluation
– Ability to undertake travels remotely
– Good command of the English language (written and oral) and ability to speak local language (Ibo) is essential
Please send the following documents as a single file to firstname.lastname@example.org
i. Resume/Curriculum Vitae
ii. Cover letter detailing your experience addressing the key responsibilities & person requirement
i. Application sent after the deadline will not be accepted
ii. Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates would be contacted
iii. Deadline for submission of application is Friday, 25th September 2020